Born in Hebron; studied at al-Azhar University in Cairo; worked
as educator in Jaffa, Lydda, and Hebron, and in religious courts
in Jaffa, Kydda and Safed; appointed Deputy Mufti of Jerusalem
by Sheikh Jarallah after the British Mandate; chief magistrate
for Jordan and Mufti of the Jordanian army; worked in education
in Saudi Arabia and Qatar; counselor in the Department of Education,
Jerusalem, Hebron, Ramallah and El-Bireh until he retired (1975);
appointed Mufti of Jerusalem by Jordan (in 1993) until his death.
Head of the Jericho Conference of
December 1948 which called for the unification of West Bank and
Jordan. Held a seat in the upper chamber of the Jordan government
in the 1950s; mayor of Hebron from 1948-76; proposed after the
Israeli occupation of the West Bank in 1967 a transitional phase
of 5 years with Israeli military redeployment after which Palestinians
would exercise their right for self-determination; member of various
Jordanian cabinets in the 1970s.
Born in 1884 in Jerusalem; graduate
of al-Azhar University, Cairo; leading member of the Supreme Muslim
Council; in 1918 Muslim representative to the Administrative Committee
of the MCA; allied with the Nashashibis; topped the list of candidates
chosen by the ulama (and fully supported by the Nashashibi family)
in 1921 for the title of Mufti but persuaded, mainly by the British,
to resign; lifelong rival of Haj
Amin al-Husseini; Chief Justice and inspector of the Muslim
religious courts in Palestine; in the mid-1930s Inspector of the
Education Department in Jerusalem; from October 1937 he served
as the sole Muslim member of the Council after its other members
had been deported or exiled; appointed Mufti of Jerusalem and
Chief Qadi on December 20, 1948 (replacing Haj
Amin Husseini); Advocated the provision of education for women.
Died 6 March 1954 in Jerusalem.
Brother of Sheikh Husam ad-Din and
an expert in civil judiciary in Palestine. He became a member
of the Higher Court of Appeal and a member of the Higher Court
of Justice. He was an authority in his field and commanded the
respect of his British Colleague Justices.
Born in Jaffa in
1888. He studied at Les Freres Chretiens, and then worked on
his father's orange groves in Jaffa to save money to study
at the University of Geneva in Switzerland. At Geneva he
studied Economic and Social Sciences. He excelled at his studies
and was awarded a scholarship to study for a Masters degree.
When Jabr returned to Palestine he first devoted his energies
to education. He taught at the Dusturiyyah School in Jerusalem
founded in 1909, and named after the Ottoman Constitution promulgated
in 1908. It was a private school, which was founded by Khalil
Sakakini (Jabr was a good friend of Khalil Sakakini - they
were part of the Party of the Vagabonds, the Sa'aleek group.)
The school stressed a secular curriculum and served as the
prototype for Palestinian schools. He also taught at the Salahiyya
College until 1918 with Sakakini and others. In 1918 he married
Marie Sidawi and they had 3 children, Daoud (1919-1998), Afif
(1921-1984) and a daughter, Zakia (1923-). Between 1918-1921
he was Deputy Director of the Education Department. He assumed
the chair of Economics and Political Science in the Law Faculty
in Jerusalem in 1923. Between 1921 and 1924 he participated
in two major conferences on “ancient Archaeology” in
Cairo. From 1923-30 he was delegated by the Islamic Higher
Council to perform various missions in Egypt. He also served
as custodian for the Islamic Museum and the Al-Aqsa Mosque
Library. In 1929 after the “al Buraq” uprising
Jabr became an editor for Al Hayat newspaper. After being an
editor (the newspaper went bankrupt), he became a member of
the Jerusalem Municipal Council. While on the Municipal Council,
he drafted a proposal for a federated binational state in 1940-1941.
In May 1948 when he was driven away from his home in the German
Colony, he settled in Heliopolis near Cairo, where he and Sakakini
became members of The Arabic Language Academy. On the 1st September
1951 he was appointed to the upper house of the Jordanian Parliament
by King Talal. Jabr died in Jericho from a heart attack on
December 19, 1953. His publications include a pamphlet he translated
on “The Spirit of Nationalism” by Max Nordor which
was published in the daily Lisan Al-Arab edited by Ibrahim
Salim Najjar. He also published a tourist brochure about the
Cave of Patriarchs in Hebron and a historical guide to Al-Aqsa
based on the work of George Antonius.
Born in Jerusalem on 21 July 1935 to a Christian family; received an M.B.B.Ch. from Ein Shams University, Cairo in 1963; joined the Jordanian Army for two years (1964-66) as Captain in the Medical Services; worked as a General Practitioner in different clinics and with the Lutheran World Federation, Jerusalem, from 1965-68; went to England and received a D.Ch. from London University, UK, in 1970; became member of the Royal College of Physicians of the UK; received pediatric training at hospitals in London and Scotland; since 1970, member of the Arab Medical Association and of the Knights of Lazarus; returned and became resident pediatrician at the Spafford Center in Jerusalem’s Old City from 1974-79; serves as head of the Pediatric Dept. of the Greek Catholic Patriarchate Center in Jerusalem since 1979; became Assistant Medical Director of the Caritas Baby Hospital in Bethlehem in 1982 and Medical Director soon after, serving until 2002; Board member of the Middle East Council of Churches since 1986; is also a member of the Geneva-based World Council of Churches; served as Pres. of the Jerusalem Society for Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation; was elected PLC member for Jerusalem (Fateh) in the Jan. 1996 elections (through the Christian quota); is a member of the PLO Exec. Committee since 1996 and the PNC since 1997, serving as head of the Christian Affairs portfolio; serves also as head of PLO Health portfolio in Jerusalem; led the talks with the Vatican that resulted in the signing of an accord to normalize relations between the PA and Roman Catholic churches in Jerusalem in 2000; is Vice-Chairperson of the Board of Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem and Chairman of the East Jerusalem Hospital Forum; was re-elected PLC member (Fateh, Jerusalem) in the 2006 elections (Christian quota), Died of a heart attack in Jerusalem on Nov 23, 2007, at the age of 72.
Educator; Imam of Ramallah mosque; placed repeatedly under
house arrest and several times imprisoned; member of the Higher
Islamic Council in Jerusalem.
Born in Tulkarem in 1903. Studied at the Othoman Islamic College
in Beirut in 1916 and studied law for two years at the American
University in Palestine in 1923. He occupied several government
positions such as Mayor of Tulkarem, and the Head of Tulkarem
Court from 1938-1948. He later became Deputy of the local education
committee, as well as a member of the Arab Executive Committee
representing Tulkarem from 1948-1951. He was appointed Minister
of Transport in October 1950, and soon after became Minister of
Agriculture, Building and Construction until July 1951. In July
1951 he was appointed a Minister of Transport until September
1952, then Minister of Interior from May 1954 until October 1954.
He was Minister of Trade and Commerce October 1954 until May 1955.
In December 1955 he became Minister of Agriculture, Post and Communication,
and Civil Aviation until January 1956. Next, he was Minister of
Finance until January 1962. He remained a member of the Jordanian
Parliament until November 1963. He became a Jordanian senator
in November 1963, appointed again as Minister of Finance until
March 1969. He retired in October 1971.
The Mufti of Acre during the Othoman
era and continued in this capacity during the British Mandate.
He was appointed as the Shari'ah Qadi (Judge) of Acre. He was
a conservative regarding the new Islamic currents. He established
an Islamic school in the mosque of Ahmed al-Jazzar in Acre. (not
a relative of Ahmed al-Jazzar the hero of Acre who repelled Napolean).